HERITAGE PAGE

TRING TENNIS CLUB TEAM SUCCESS

1972 MIXED 1 SUMMER LEAGUE CHAMPS

 

1975 LADIES 1 SUMMER LEAGUE CHAMPS

1978 MEN'S 1 SUMMER LEAGUE CHAMPS

1981 VETS 1 SUMMER LEAGUE CHAMPS

1998 MIXED 1 A&D CHAMPS

2015 MIXED 1 A&D CHAMPS

2015 MEN'S 1 WINTER LEAGUE CHAMPS

2016 LADIES 1 SUMMER LEAGUE CHAMPS

TRING TENNIS CLUB - A BRIEF HISTORY

1904

 

Tring Cricket Club sanctioned the use of a portion of their field together with rollers, mowing machines, pavilion and grounds men for a 'reasonable annual charge' of £5

Subscriptions were fixed at 10s 6d for gentlemen and 7s 6d for ladies

1908

 

An agreement was signed between the Cricket Club, the Tennis Club and the Bowls Club.

The Tennis club used courts 1-4 (then grass) and the Bowls Club courts 5 and 6

 

1914

 

A thatched clubhouse, complete with outside toilet, was built

 

1914-1918

 

During the First World War activity ceased and the courts were unattended.

After the war, Mr Wallhead, from Wing, was appointed Groundsman by the Cricket Club - his responsibilities to include the upkeep of the tennis courts.

 

1920

 

The Post Office Tennis Club built two courts at the north west corner of the Cricket Club, adjoining Station Road

 

Early 1960s

 

Mr Gordon Lambert and his wife Kay helped the club to obtain a grant to replace courts 1and 2 with a hard surface.  Courts 3 and 4 were done at a later date and finally courts 5 and 6 once they had been taken over from the Bowls Club.

 

1967

 

The original thatched clubhouse was demolished and a new building constructed.

 

1974

 

The Club celebrated its Diamond Jubilee (based on the construction date of the original clubhouse)    with a period dress mixed tournament and a Jubilee Ball at Norcott Court.

Tickets, to include a Champagne supper, were £2.50

 

It is interesting to note from some AGM Minutes from this year, that the club fielded 3 Table Tennis teams in the Hemel League, as well as the more expected tennis teams.

The social side Club was very active with an annual Dinner Dance and regular whist drives held at member's houses.

 

 Late 1980s 

 

Floodlights installed

 

2003

 

Clubhouse extended

 

2015

 

An all weather surface is installed to replace the hard courts 1-4

CONTACTS

ADDRESS

London Road

Tring

Herts

HP23 6HA

FIND​ US